Mac Gibson is a native of Atlanta, Georgia. He received his B.A., magna cum laude, from Washington and Lee University. He received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Georgia, where he was an editor for the Georgia Law Review. Mac served as a captain in the United States Army Reserves and was an adjunct scholar to the Georgia Public Policy Foundation.
Mac has tried over a dozen cases to judgment and has over twenty published decisions. He has obtained multi-million dollar judgments, multi-million dollar settlements, defense verdicts and summary dispositions favorable to his clients. His practice includes all types of commercial litigation, including, real estate disputes, business torts, contract disputes, antitrust, indoor air quality and construction defects, and product liability. He represents and counsels retailers, developers, REITs, hotel and apartment owners and operators, retailers, property management companies, financial institutions, distributors, petroleum and mining companies, restaurants, and convenience stores, among others, in contract disputes, lease enforcement, easement, restrictive covenant, trespass and nuisance claims, mining rights, brokerage disputes, zoning, premises liability, real estate commission, and eminent domain matters.
Mac has been listed in Super Lawyers (recognizing the top 5 percent of lawyers in Georgia) for 11 years (2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017) and was recently named by Georgia Trend magazine as one of Georgia’s Legal Elite in 2015 and 2016.
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Alston & Bird, LLP (Partner, 1990-2012)
PUBLICATIONS AND RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “A Brief Overview of Surface Use and Mineral Rights,” Land Laws (2017)
- “Resolving Local Access and Road Disputes,” National Business Institute (Nov. 2013)
- “Commercial Lease Assignment and Subletting Clauses,” National Business Institute (April 2012) “Commercial Lease Remedies,” National Business Institute (Sept. 2011)
- “Eviction Proceedings in Detail,” in Guide to Commercial Evictions, National Business Institute (June 2009)
- “Handling Right of Way Problems,” in Boundary Disputes: Resolving Client Conflicts, National Business Institute (April 2008)
- “Resolving Boundary Disputes Inside and Outside Georgia’s Courts” in Boundary Disputes: Resolving Client Conflicts, National Business Institute (April 2008)
- “Common Road Access Problems and Solutions” in Road and Access Law: Researching and Resolving Common Disputes, National Business Institute (July 2007)
- Gibson and Pearson, “Enough is Enough! – the Scope of the ‘Perpetual’ Right to Cure,” Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy (Dec. 2004)
- Gibson and Stroud, “Do I Have Manganism or Parkinson’s Disease?: Causation Difficulties in Association of Parkinsonism and Manganese Exposure,” Mealey’s Welding Rod Litigation Reporter (Dec. 2004).
- Gibson and McLaren, “Preparing for War—Defending Managed Care from Class Action Lawsuits,” BNA’s Health Law Reporter, pp. 406-407 (March 16, 2000).
REPRESENTATIVE REPORTED CASES
- Feldman v. American Dawn, Inc., 849 F.3d 1333 (11th Cir. 2017) (petition for certiorari pending)
- American Management Services East, LLC v. Fort Benning Family Communities, LLC, 333 Ga. App. 664, 774 S.E.2d 233 (2015)
- Bolinger v. First Multiple Listing Service, Inc., 838 F.Supp.2d 1340 (N.D. Ga. 2012)
- Rainbow USA, Inc. v. Cumberland Mall, LLC, 688 S.E.2d 631 (2009)
- Rabun County v. Mountain Creek Estates, LLC., 280 Ga. 855, 632 S.E.2d 140 (2006)
- State Farm Life Ins. Co. v. Carlyle, 2006 WL 2619653 (N.D. Ga. 2006)
- Killearn Partners, Inc. v. Southeast Properties, Inc., 266 Ga. App. 508, 597 S.E.2d 578 (2004), reconsideration denied 611 S.E.2d 26 (2005)
- jOjA Partners, LLC v. Abrams Properties, 262 Ga. App. 209, 585 S.E.2d 168 (2003)
- Kull v. Six Flags Over Georgia, LLP, 254 Ga. App. 897, 564 S.E.2d 747 (2002), rev’d 276 Ga. 210, 576 S.E.2d 880 (2003)
- Britt Paulk Ins. Agency, Inc. v. Northbrook Prop. & Cas. Ins., 952 F.Supp. 1575 (1996)
- Equitable Life Assur. Soc. of U.S. v. Studenic, 77 F.3d 412 (1996)
- Turpeau v. Fidelity Fin. Services, Inc., 936 F. Supp. 975 (N.D. Ga. 1996)
- Rucker v. Wynn, 212 Ga. App. 69, 441 S.E.2d 417 (1994)
- Gaydos v. Grupe Real Estate Investors, 211 Ga. App. 811, 440 S.E.2d 545 (1994)
- Moore v. American Suzuki Motor Corp., 211 Ga. App. 337, 439 S.E.2d 43 (1993)
- Watson v. Wachovia Nat. Bank of Georgia, 207 Ga. App. 780, 429 S.E.2d 111 (1993)
- White & Assoc., Inc. v. Decker & Hallman, 203 Ga. App. 14, 416 S.E.2d 352 (1992)