Kirk is a native of Columbus. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree, with honors, in English from Columbus State University. Kirk received his Master’s Degree from the University of Georgia, and was a Teaching Assistant in the English Department while there. Kirk graduated from Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law in 1998. At Cumberland, Kirk was a member of the Cumberland Law Review, and in his third year was on the editorial board of the law review, serving as Research Editor.
Before returning home and joining The Finley Firm, Kirk practiced in Mobile, Alabama and focused his litigation practice on the representation of financial institutions, as well as municipalities, governmental agencies, title companies, and both publicly-traded and privately-held commercial entities. As part of his responsibilities as outside counsel to various financial institutions, Kirk at one point oversaw and directed all litigation for a large regional bank throughout its southeastern footprint.
In September 2008, Kirk’s Mobile-based firm joined with Jones Walker LLP, a large Gulf Coast firm with its principal office in New Orleans. Kirk continued his practice as a partner with Jones Walker, representing national and local clients in both litigation and arbitration. Kirk was part of a small team of law firms that represented General Motors in numerous arbitration proceedings in the congressionally-created Automobile Industry Special Binding Arbitration Program, a nationwide arbitral process administered by the American Arbitration Association that was occasioned by the 2008 economic downturn and subsequent bankruptcy filings of Chrysler and GM. In addition, Kirk maintains an active appellate practice, handling appeals before state appellate courts and the Eleventh Circuit. Kirk also has a niche practice representing departments of correction in Eighth Amendment claims brought individually and as class actions.
Kirk and his wife Jane Ivy (formerly of Waycross, GA) have two daughters. In his spare time, Kirk enjoys reading, traveling, hiking, and spending time on his family property in Seale, Alabama.
PUBLICATIONS AND RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Co-Author, Alabama Chapter, Chambers Global Practice Guide: Gaming, Gambling & Licensing (1st ed. 2018)
- Author, Alabama Chapter, International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling (3d. ed. 2017)
- Author, Alabama Chapter, International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling (2d ed. 2016)
- “Arbitration Opponents: Barking Up the Wrong Branch,” 62 Ala. Law. 56, January 2001
REPRESENTATIVE REPORTED CASES
- Morgan v. Farmers & Merchant Bank, 856 So. 2d 811 (Ala. 2003)
- Estes Oil Co., Inc v. Sam’s Real Estate Business Trust, Inc., 156 So. 3d 939 (Ala. 2014)
- DaimlerChrysler Corp. v. Morrow, 895 So. 2d 861 (Ala. 2004)
- Regions Bank v. Baldwin County Sewer Service, LLC, 106 So. 3d 383 (Ala. 2012)